Q: What is the difference between Elevate Health and an ordinary medical clinic?
With the membership model, we can make non-office care readily available. If your concerns or questions do not require an in-office physical exam, Dr. Perkins can address your needs in a phone conversation or online message exchange. This means a lot more convenience for you with fewer trips to the medical office. For many, it means not losing valuable work time or sick leave to take care of your personal medical needs.
At Elevate Health, we focus on assisting you in reaching your maximum health potential, not just managing diseases and symptoms. Because we keep our patient panel size small, we are able to spend more time with you and to get to know you as the unique individual that you are so we can provide more personalized service. A physician in a typical primary care clinic will be responsible for the care of 1000-2000 patients. Dr. Perkins is initially limiting her patient panel size to less than 300 patients to ensure that each person gets individualized attention and easier access to her.
You can expect same day or next business day urgent care appointments with Dr. Perkins, 24/7 access to Dr. Perkins via telephone, cell phone and secure messaging, and timely responses to your questions.
Because your lifestyle choices are vital to the health you experience, Elevate Health provides nutritional counseling and health coaching as part of your wellness plan and includes it in your monthly membership fee.
Q: Who is best suited to the Elevate Health approach?
This model of health care is for you, if you value:
- Developing a meaningful, therapeutic relationship over time with your provider.
- Being known by clinic staff.
- Being one of 200-300 people that your doctor is thinking about and caring for rather than one of 1000-2000 people.
- Having a close relationship with a trusted physician who you can rely on to practice medicine according to what is in your best interests rather than what the insurance company dictates.
- Personal, timely service in your medical care.
- The convenience of telephone conversations or secure messaging with your provider when a face-to-face meeting is not necessary.
- Extended visits with your provider to enable a thorough exploration of health issues, comprehensive education and explanation of diagnostic and treatment options.
- Having a variety of treatment approaches integrated into your care.
- A provider who practices functional medicine. A provider who has time to think deeply about your health concerns and goals and look for root causes or solutions rather than feeling pressured by short visits and having time only to write a prescription to provide symptomatic relief.
- A health coach and nutrition counselor available to support you in creating a lifestyle that will move you closer to your health goals. And one who works in close communication with your doctor.
- A robust online patient portal from our award winning software partner, Athena Health. The portal provides easy access to your chart records, medication list, after visit plan summaries, educational materials, and gives you the ability to send and receive messages and documents and make online requests for appointments. All this technology is HIPAA compliant and uses the most up to date communication technologies.
- A primary care provider who will coordinate your care with specialists and alternative medicine providers such as naturopaths, chiropractors, acupuncturists, body workers, etc.
Q: Will my health insurance pay for all this?
We will bill your insurance when you are seen in the office. Most insurance plans provide coverage only for in person office visits. Insurance plans rarely cover phone visits and online messaging/visits. To provide you with this expanded service, we have chosen to adopt the membership model.
Q: How exactly does the membership model work?
Once you are enrolled, your credit card will be billed monthly, at the beginning of each month, for $150 per adult (25 years and older). For example, for services provided in January, your payment will be made on January 1st. When you come in for an in person visit, your insurance will be billed for the office visit. Co-pays and deductibles will be applied. You will be billed for whatever your insurance does not cover.
Q: Is there a special rate for children? Is there a family discount?
Patients who are 24 years old or younger will be $75 per month. When at least one parent is enrolled, their first two children under 25 years old are $35 each per month. Any additional children are free of charge.
Q: What does the monthly membership fee cover?
- Extended face-to-face visits with Dr. Dahra Perkins who will take a functional medicine approach to addressing your health issues.
- Same day or next day appointment with Dr Perkins for acute care needs.
- 24/7 access to Dr. Perkins via telephone, personal cell phone or secure messaging
- Nutrition consults and health coaching.
- Expedited request handling.
- Four (4) 30-minute sessions per calendar year on our BioMat, an FDA-approved medical device that contains amethyst crystals and emits far-infrared heat to aid in muscle relaxation and increased circulation.
Q: What if I want to be a patient at Elevate Health but my insurance won’t pay for it, or I am not currently insured?
You are still welcome to become a patient at our clinic. You would be paying out-of-pocket for in-person clinic visits. You would still receive all of the benefits that the monthly membership fee covers.
Q: Is there a contract?
No. There is no contract. You can cancel at any time. If you decide to re-enroll at some point in the future, you will be put on a waiting list if Dr. Perkins’ patient panel is full.
Q: How do I sign up?
Call our office, (503) 227-0350, Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm to enroll. We will need a credit card number to bill your membership fee. Upon confirmation of payment received, we will send you an invitation to enroll in our patient portal where you will have access to the new patient intake form. Fill this form out before your first appointment with Dr Perkins. If Dr. Perkins’ patient panel has reached her designated limit, you will be put on a waiting list.
Q: What’s the difference between the membership model medical practice and concierge medicine?
They actually describe the same type of medical reimbursement model. We think of concierge as a higher end version, charging fees more in the range of $5,000 - $10,000 per year and providing highly personal service like in-person physician services wherever and whenever you want, in-clinic advanced diagnostics such as echocardiograms, x-rays, etc., physician escort for hospital admissions, home delivery services for supplements and medications, etc.
Q: Is the membership model/concierge medicine legal?
Yes. The fee covers additional services that are above and beyond what your insurance covers. It doesn’t change their coverage or infringe upon our contracts with them as we’re providing and billing for covered services the way our contract dictates. We are not charging additional for covered services, we are charging a market price for non-covered services. These non-covered services are outlined above under “What Does The Membership Fee Cover?”